The Gulfport Historical Society adheres to the following constitution and bylaws. The membership approved changes to both documents at the April 19, 2019 annual meeting.
Gulfport Historical Society Constitution
ARTICLE I – Name
Section 1 – The name of this organization shall be Gulfport Historical Society, Inc.
ARTICLE II – Objectives and Activities
Section 1 – General objectives of the Gulfport Historical Society shall be to preserve and celebrate Gulfport culture and history through exhibits and programs that educate and inspire the community and visiting public.
Section 2 – The activities of the Society shall be in accord with its objectives. General activities shall include the following:
a. Operation of the Gulfport History Museum
b. Preservation of historic locations
c. Historical programming
ARTICLE III – Officers and board members
Section 1 – Officers shall be a president, a treasurer and a secretary.
Section 2 – The duties of the officers are as follows: The president will preside over the meetings or appoint someone to do so in his or her absence. The secretary will create meeting agendas and take minutes of the meetings. The treasurer shall set fiscal policy and oversee financial operations of the society. These three officers form the executive committee. Between three and ten board members will serve alongside them. The executive committee may, in the event of a vacancy in between elections, appoint replacements for those board members. The executive committee and the board members form the board of directors.
Section 3 – Each officer shall serve for two years and may be re-elected.
Section 4 – The bylaws will define the duties of the board.
ARTICLE IV – Elections
Section 1 – Starting in 2018, officers shall be elected every other April at a regular meeting with due announcement of 30 days. Members in good standing and present at the April meeting will elect the officers.
Section 2 – Starting in 2019, board members shall be elected every other April at a regular meeting with due announcement of 30 days. Members in good standing and present at the April meeting will elect the board members.
ARTICLE V – Meetings
Section 1 – The Gulfport Historical Society will meet at least once a year in April. Such time and place as shall be determined by the officers.
ARTICLE VI – Ratification and Amendments
Section 1 – This constitution must be ratified by a 2/3 vote of the Society membership present at a duly announced meeting.
Section 2 – Amendments may be made to this constitution with a 2/3 vote of the Society membership present at a duly announced meeting.
ARTICLE VII – Membership
Section 1 – The board will set criteria for membership.
ARTICLE VII – Bylaws
The board or its designee will create bylaws for membership approval.
Amended 2015; amended 041919
Gulfport Historical Society Bylaws
- The name of this corporation shall be Gulfport Historical Society, Inc.
The purpose of this corporation shall be:
- to collect, items of historical significance to the history of Gulfport, Florida and the surrounding area.
- to research, write and publish concerning Gulfport’s history.
- to curate a collection of items pertinent to Gulfport history.
- to cultivate interest in the preservation of buildings, sites and structures of historical or aesthetic significance and to take steps to prevent the destruction or defacement of any such building, site or structure for historical reasons, such purpose being totally implemented by charitable donations and not-for-profit.
- The Board of Directors will set criteria for membership that aligns with city policies.
- No officer or director of this not-for-profit corporation shall receive monetary compensation for work done for this corporation.
Board of Directors
Duties of the Board of Directors shall be to:
- state at the beginning of each fiscal year the annual goals, establish a budget, define projects and plan a schedule of events.
- adopt a regular meeting time and location for at least four meetings during the year.
- spend funds authorized in the budget. No Officer or Director may spend more than $100.00 for unanticipated purposes without pre-authorization by the Board of Directors, except for the executive committee (please see Article V). Such action shall be reported at the next meeting of the Board of Directors.
- two–thirds of the Board of Directors present shall constitute a quorum.
Duties of the Executive Committee shall be to:
- implement plans and carry out policies set by the Board of Directors and/or by the membership.
- spend funds authorized in the budget. It may not spend more than $500 for unanticipated purposes. Such action shall be reported at the next meeting of the Board of Directors.
- two–thirds of the Executive Committee present shall constitute a quorum
- The fiscal year of the Gulfport Historical Society, Inc. shall commence May 1 and continue through April 30.
Adopted: 12/12/1983; amended: 01/08/1987; amended: 07/31/1995; amended: 05/09/1996; amended: 01/09/1999; amended: 04/30/2016; amended: 04/19/2019